The days after. PJ Harvey stopped her concert to recite a poem. Maybe one of the „The Poem“s. Of course it’s been
John Donne’s No Man Is An Island
- No man is an island, entire of itself;
- every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
- If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
- as well as if a promontory were,
- as well as if a manor of thy friend’s or of thine own were.
- Any man’s death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind;
- and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
- —from „Meditation XVII“
Those insights are nearly 400 years old – it’s more than calculating losses, it’s more than having freedom and feeling independent. We are all connected. If one of us leaves, if one country leaves – we all lose something.
Moreover I learned (from the sadly gone German Comedian Dieter Hildebrandt), that Donne uses the word „Iland“, not „Island“. The „I-land“ and the island.
Hopefully, there is a #secondchancetovote ….